Image Map

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Penalita!...Ryan and Sarah take Italy.
















Friday was a long day of work for Ryan and a long day of waiting for me. Our adventure finally got started Friday evening (a little later than we originally thought). We were very anxious to get on the train and hurry to Venice. After our train ticket was purchased we found a seat and relaxed for the first time of the day - thinking that we were all on track (no pun intended!). Well, one of the train conductor guys came around to check our ticket. In 'broken English' (really Italian), he informed us that we had forgotten to validate our ticket. Oops?! Ryan and I said sorry and thought we would just have to remember next time. Sounded fair, right? Nope!!! That man took his job very seriously. He pulled out a ticket pad and wrote us a ticket for 30 euro! Seriously....that happened. We were fined and paid the extra money. No mercy for the poor Americans! It was ridiculous. Luckily we laughed about our luck and moved on. Needless to say we did NOT forget to validate from then on. :)





Venice was GORGEOUS!!! Ryan and I loved walking around aimlessly and taking in all the views. We of course stayed in San Marco and ate at the Hard Rock Cafe. I got to see my gondolas!!!! :) The bridges were my favorite part - and all the canals and water. It amazed me how the city was built around the water. On the other side - I HATED the pidgeons! I can't stand birds! I swear these birds saw a red target over my head because they kept swooping down towards me. Ryan got a kick out of watching me duck and hide.


Our adventure was not over when we got back from Venice. We also had the ball that night! It was so fun to get all dressed up. Ryan looked so handsome and I felt like a princess! It was for sure a night to remember. The food was amazing and the company was even better. Spending the evening with all of those Able guys made me love them even more!





Today, Ryan and I took Q (Esquilin) to Verona. Personally, I was SO excited about this trip because we were going to see Juliet's house. Since I have taught Romeo and Juliet for the past 2 years, I was super excited about seeing this place. Walking into the tunnel with all the lovers writing was magical. You can honestly just feel the love! Ok, maybe not Ryan and Q.... BUT I was a giddy little girl! I made Ryan go up to the balcony with me and take in the moment. I think he was just happy to see me so happy. I mean, this was where Juliet was thought to have fallen in love with Romeo. So romantic! Hello?!?! We also rubbed Juliet's boob (the statue..duh). It is considered good luck - we aren't weird! :)


















Overall, Italy is wonderful. It shows its age but also has an undescribable beauty about it. Love it! I am sad to say that my time here is almost up, but I have made memories that will last forever. This has been a once in a lifetime opportunity for Ryan and I!




No comments:

Post a Comment