Image Map

Monday, July 11, 2011

Heartbeats & Happiness

Today was our first official prenatal appointment with the doctor. It has been a date that I have been looking forward to for weeks! Ryan and I went in together not knowing exactly what to expect. We met the doctor, went over our medical histories, discussed the do's and dont's while being pregnant (no more medium cooked steak for me...sigh) and then.... we got the chance to hear the heartbeat!

Now as most pregnant women know, this is a huge IF. Since I am 10 weeks there was a chance that we might not be able to hear the heartbeat yet, or that the baby might not be in the right position for us to be able to hear it. Of course I was very anxious at this fact. I wanted to hear the joy of that little thumping sound, and at the same time I was terrified of what it would mean if we didn't hear one.

The doctor started moving the doppler around on my little tummy and after about 30 seconds she stopped and there was a small, yet clear, little bump-bump...bump-bump....bump- bump...

Instantly Ryan and I just looked at each other and smiled. The room was totally silent for about a minute or two as we just sat there and listened to our baby's heartbeat. Peaceful. Amazing. Comforting. Miraculous. The doctor said that the heartbeat was about 180 - healthy.  :)

I have always heard of babies and pregnancy being a miracle, but honestly I didn't fully understand that until today. It was the most peaceful and wonderful thing I have heard in my whole life. Not to mention that Ryan was blown away! That was the fun part. :) It's amazing how much we love this baby already. 10 weeks down!

Fun fact - My blood type is O-...who knew!??! Lol. You learn something knew everyday!

3 comments:

  1. Being pregnant is so amazing isn't it? Congrats on one of many exciting moments you're going to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww yay! i love it.. so happy for you! im still waiting on my turn...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ashton! I am sure I will be asking you a million questions along the way. :)

    Brittney, I can't wait for your time to come!!! Ya'll will make amazing parents!!

    ReplyDelete