Today was such an exciting day for Ryan and I - we got to have our first baby ultrasound! Now, as amazing as the ultrasound proved to be, the 'prep' for it was awful! I was instructed to drink 30 oz. of water an hour PRIOR to my appointment. The trick was, once I started drinking the 30 oz, I couldn't use the bathroom until after the appointment. Yeah, that is almost impossible for a pregnant woman! The first thing I said to the ultrasound technician was, "I am very uncomfortable so let's get this show on the road!". :) This is a picture of my 11 week baby bump...slightly bloated with 30 oz of water!
Ryan and I have seen ultrasounds before but I don't think we really knew what to expect. I was half way waiting for them to show me a dot on a screen and say that it was my baby. I am only 11 weeks so I was unsure how much could visibly be seen. We were super surprised to see LOTS more than what we thought. At first sight, the baby moved around a little (probably excited to see Ryan :)). We could clearly see the baby's profile. It's face showed off a little button nose that was too cute. We even got to see the little arms and legs. The technician moved things around and we got to see 5 little fingers on one hand. It was unbelievable to see! My personal favorite part was seeing the heartbeat. We actually got to see the heart going up and down on our baby, while we heard the heartbeat too. It was at a rate of 162 today. Healthy!
At the end the technician tried to get the baby to move around some more, but my more than full bladder was providing a little too much comfort. The baby was just laying there as cozy as could be. So, we got pictures and we marked the appointment as a success! :) I think Ryan and I were both in shock for a little while. Hearing the heart beat last week was one thing, but this took it a step further. Seeing our little baby made everything so real! We could not even begin to express the happiness we have over this experience. Each week brings something new in the growth of our baby and its so fun to get to each new benchmark. We consider ourselves very blessed to have this little gift in our lives - a little miracle. We are just a little happy...can you tell?! :)
PS- My dad is already inspecting the pictures for an extra leg. HAHA! Boys will be boys! We will find out if it's a little boy or girl in about 8-10 more weeks.
I cannot believe you actually have a bump at 11 weeks! I mean, it's not big, don't worry :) Some women just have bumps right away! That's crazy!! But crazy in a good way :)!!
ReplyDeleteHaha! I know. Some days it's more our there than others, but I have a feeling I will look like I swallowed a basketball by the end of all this. Lol!
ReplyDelete