I wish I could say that it was an easy year, but I think Ryan and I can both agree that this was probably our most challenging year of marriage. The newlywed feeling has worn off, and the baby excitement has now turned into a toddler challenge. Now, let me clarify, it has been another good, successful year of marriage, but lets just say our roles/responsibilities within the marriage have been challenged this year. I think that is VERY normal in any given marriage at certain times. We have each individually struggled with personal stresses in our lives and in turn we have also had to figure out new ways to support each other. Sometimes it was a hit and miss game :) In the end, we both still love love love each other and we agree that we have survived a challenging year together! Many of our other friends haven't been so lucky. So, we mark this one in the books and plan on heading into the next year of marriage as a stronger and happier couple. Lessons learned and we are stronger for that.
Over this past week we have been talking about memories and pictures and things about our wedding. I love how one day can bring back such a flood of memories. It's funny to look back and see what things stood out the most to us... Here are a few...
- Let's get the obvious one out of the way. Yes, a tornado hit our wedding. Well, technically not our wedding but it was a few miles down the road. We did have to take cover for a bit inside. I think that is the most popular thing people say to us on our anniversary. "Remember that tornado?!?!!" Yes, we do!
- Ryan likes to pick on me about saying our vows. He was looking lovingly into my eyes as any becoming husband should! I on the other hand, was looking over his should at the storm coming in rapidly. I might have had a panic stricken look on my face. Oops.
- My mom reminded me of the morning of our wedding day. I stayed at my parents house that night and I woke up to see that my wedding bouquet had a flower that totally fell lopsided out of it. So the first time they saw me that morning was with my messed up flowers. LOL!
- Oddly enough, people remember NOT coming to my wedding. A few of my close friends decided at the last minute to not come to the event because the news was saying to stay inside and take cover. Oh boy.. So it was funny to hear that people have clear memories of deciding NOT to come to our wedding. They were still there and spirit and they made sure to express their happiness for us!
- I remember not caring about the weather. Normally you would think that a bride would be distraught over the awful weather ruining her reception, but I was the opposite. I was SO happy! It was like Ryan and I were in a little love bubble and nothing was going to mess that up. We took that tornado with stride!
- This may seem silly, but in all of the pictures the weather made my dress look amazing! You see, I got my dress for like $200. I wasn't all about the huge wedding dress. It was simple and plain, but it was light and airy. Little did I know that the weather made my dress look Ah-Mazing! :)
- I remember not really getting a chance to eat my BBQ. I hated that! By the time we got done with pictures (my main concern after the ceremony) the weather hit hard and he had to leave the tent. The BBQ people took cover and packed up all the food to leave. Sigh... I heard it was good though!
- I loved that Ryan and I showed our personalities. I wore my flip-flops and he wore his skater shoes. We were pretty care free about the whole thing.
- I cared most about the pictures. Obviously...that's just me! They turned out great and we got them done before a drop of rain hit. Crickett, our photographer, is also in our church ward now. Kind of neat!
- Ryan was ready to leave the reception. He was having a great time, but lets face it... we were married and he was ready to start that married life! Peace out!
- Overall, it was one crazy but wonderful day!!! We loved every second of it. Mother Nature has been present at all of our main events. I guess we just have that whirlwind romance/life. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment