Anyone from the south (OK, lets be honest - anyone that is aware of southern stereotypes in general) knows the saying 'bless your heart'. It is a common saying, heard from mostly older women, when speaking about another person. I guess I am showing signs of early aging because I have been caught saying it a lot -I blame my mom and grandmothers. I thought it was funny that people thought me saying 'bless your heart' was funny. To me it is just normal. However, I guess the use of this southern coin phrase can be somewhat interesting to 'outsiders'.
Warning: Be careful before using 'bless your heart' because its meaning is two fold.
1. There is the basic 'Aww....Well bless your [little] heart.' This type is used for sympathetic purposes. For instance, when one is sick or has just undergone something tough or tragic. We use it as a form of relation to the person we are talking to. It is often used with a very caring and concerned tone. Its basic translation would be - 'That is awful! Wish there was something I could do to help!'
2. The nasty side of southern women can also use 'bless your heart' as a snide remark. In the words of Miranda Lambert, "I don't have to be hateful, I can just say, 'Bless your heart.'" This type is used for a powerful stand-your-ground purpose. We use this when we think someone is ignorant or is simply crazy (mostly when talking about other southern women). It is often used in a mocking and sarcastic tone. Its basic translation would be - "You can go shove it!" Also see - "Screw you!" and "I hope for your sake you get some help."
So, there is my little explanation of the very simple, yet deep, phrase 'Bless your heart.' Next time a southern woman says it to you, you better think twice about what she thinks of you. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment