Image Map

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Scissors and Suckers

Blake has the most beautiful hair. It's red, curly, and long! It also grows ridiculously fast. I have heard of parents who have waited until their child is 3 or 4 before they do a hair cut. Not us! I had to start trimming Blake's hair when he was one. He used to sit in the bathroom sink while I would snip away the long strands of hair around his eyes and neck. I have to admit that I felt super special cutting my own child's hair. Super mom, right?!

As Blake got older, he started to HATE having his hair cut, touched, brushed, anything! It became more and more difficult for me to trim his hair. He would no longer sit in the sink. He started to whine and get upset when I would get the scissors out. I mean, I tried everything! We tried cutting it a little here and there while he was watching TV. Didn't work! We tried cutting his hair at bath time when it was wet. Didn't work! We even tried cutting it while he was asleep! NOTHING WORKED!

I guess I just planned on letting it grow out since he wouldn't let me cut it. Haha. Ryan on the other hand was determined to not let his son look like a girl. He did have a point... the hair was starting to get a little out of control. So, I told Ryan that I would get Blake a REAL hair appointment, but it would only be for a trim! I was not going to have my little two year old looking too grown up.

Our doctor actually recommended a lady to us. We were told that she was great with kids and would have the hair cut done in about 2 minutes. I warned the stylist that Blake would cry and scream, but it didn't seem to bother her. I also brought my mom for assistance. (She is the best). Sure enough Blake screamed and cried the second she got those scissors out! He cried the whole 2-3 minutes that it took to finish the trim. Bless his little heart...and the rest of the people at the place. Sigh.


The funny part was that when she was done, he stopped crying immediately. He even told her thank you and gave her a high five. No hard feelings, I guess ;) Mom (Granny) and I tried to make it up to him by letting him have suckers, ice cream, and a new toy! Yes, we spoiled him and it was well deserved! Ahem... we also gave the hair stylist a very generous tip for her patience.

I am VERY happy with how his hair cut turned out. It is trimmed and shaped, but he still has his cute red curls. He is still that same little boy that I love! Hopefully we can go a few months before we have to worry about the hair again. Ryan gets to take him next time ;)

1 comment:

  1. This we a rememberable event! Bless. His. Heart! It was hard for Granny aka Gigi to endure seeing mommy and Blake go through this experience. I wanted to wisk him away and run out of the salon. He does look very handsome though with his new cut. I just love him:)

    ReplyDelete