A while ago we shared our story about adopting Maggie. Since Maggie joined our family, we quickly learned that she has MASSIVE separation anxiety. She is the best dog while we are home, but the second we leave she freaks out! We tried leaving her outside, in the house, everything...and she just messes things up or escapes. Eventually we ended up having to get a kennel for her. Go figure...she hates that too. She has broken off a few bars on it and has managed to scoot her cage across the room when we are gone. Sigh...
The teacher in me was contemplating, today, how I could make her enjoy her kennel. I have seen dogs that LOVE their kennel and go lay in it just for fun. I want Maggie to be like that too. So, before Blake and I went on an errand, I thought (at the time it was a good thought) that maybe she just needs to be taught by example. Being trained in differentiated learning, I thought that she just needed to be taught about the kennel in a creative way. Haha.
So, what do I do?! I get in the kennel (yes, crawled in the thing) and start talking to Maggie about how comfy it is and, "Look, here is a toy!" I was looking down the whole time and didn't really notice other surroundings. I would say this went on for a few minutes. I mean, come on...it made sense to me!! Learn by example!!! Well, it was when I looked up and saw Blake and Maggie both looking at me that I realized I had lost it. They both looked so confused. It was as if Blake was saying to Maggie, "Yep, Mom has finally gone nuts." Haha! I all of a sudden got so embarrassed and yet thankful for the fact that Ryan wasn't home to witness this event.
Sigh, as I tucked my tail between my legs (ironically) and got out of the kennel I told the kiddos that we would not tell dad about this. Then I tried to make myself feel better by saying, sometimes you just need a new perspective on life...and boy did I get one.
In the end, it didn't work. Maggie still didn't want to go in her kennel and I was mortified by my failed mission. Please don't judge me... haha. :)
I love you Sarah! You just made me smile! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteSame thing happened to us! I got in the kennel too.... sad days
ReplyDeleteLove this!
ReplyDeleteIt is like an I love Lucy episode!
I can see it now!
Just priceless!
You make me smile. And sometimes laugh out loud. This was a laugh out loud moment. Thank you, Sarah.
ReplyDelete