Image Map

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Slow Learner

I am not sure at what age you are supposed to learn the "common sense" rules of life, but I must be a slow learner. At the age of 24, I have just learned two of the most important lessons in life.

The first lesson learned: 'Silence is Golden'. It is amazing how much you can learn about yourself and others if you simply just SHUT UP! I have learned so much about others as I have just sat back and watched or listened. It has also put me in a good position to help people out when I am somewhat on the outside of a situation - instead of right there in the middle of the gossip.

The second lesson learned: 'Actions Speak Louder Than Words'. I recently learned several things about a person that I am very close to - except I didn't learn it from them. I learned it from others that are around this person. For example, I heard that this person has always been a trustworthy and honest person....and that this person has done a very powerful silent act of kindness for another family. I had no idea!!! When I approached this person about these new found actions, the response was, "Yeah, I don't really like to boast or brag about things I do." Right then my heart melted. When I think about what I do for others I draw a blank...because I do a whole lot of nothing. It made me think about what others say about me when asked about my personality. Do they say that I do service or that I am a good friend? Or do they say that I am just focused on myself?

Combining the two lessons - I guess I need to start letting my actions speak instead of my constant words. Take some time to try to apply these two very basic lessons to your life and see how it effects your relationships with others. Always remember- it's you are never too old to learn! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment