Meet Oliver!! Ok, let me preface this by saying I NEVER thought I would get a cat. NEVER! But, I guess this just proves the good ole fashion saying, "Never say never"...
Ryan has been such an amazing husband for going on 3 years. For the past year, specifically, he has moved into my old house, has to deal with my dog, and has settled our family with all of my NC comforts. He has given up on a few of his dreams and his Utah life to make me happy. What a catch, right?!?! The best part is that he doesn't complain about it. Occasionally he will make a comment that references something, but that's it.
For a long time, we have had the dog vs cat battle. I come from a dog family. He comes from a cat family. To begin with I said don't even think about getting a cat near me. We have also disagreed a few times about my dog and how she is spoiled. The animal thing has somewhat been a hot topic for us. Doesn't that seem so trivial?!
Finally after seeing all that Ryan has given up and put up with...I decided I would surprise him. I had to go pick Taylor up from Chapel Hill and I literally (and randomly) decided to get a cat for Ryan! Something to call his own and something that he has wanted for a long time. I don't ever buy from a breeder. I always adopt! Such a great cause. Today I went to the SPCA of Wake County. They are such a great establishment!! I passed the interview and I went kitty shopping! :) Oliver won me over by his beautiful markings! There were actually two cats with that marking. I went ahead and did the application process - still not knowing which one I wanted. The lady started telling me about each of the cats. The one other cat was a perfectly normal 3 month old. Oliver on the other hand had a very difficult start to life. He started off at the Animal Shelter and got really sick. They were going to put him down but the SPCA came and rescued him. They gave him the care that he needed. He was on fluids and medication for about a month. They also mentioned he was missing a tooth. He passed all of his health checks and was put up for adoption again. The lady asked me if I was still interested in him knowing his history. Are you kidding me?!?! How can I say no to that story?! This cat is only 4 months old and has been through all of that?!!? SOLD!
Oliver quickly was put in the car with me. Don't forget...this was a surprise for Ryan and Blake. Taylor held the box as we drove back to the house. Sadly (and actually in a hilarious way) the cat got car sick. Poor thing! The funny part was that it smelled really badly. Taylor had to roll the window down and even then she was gagging. I think the only thing saving me was the fact that I was laughing so hard. Oh geez. Then just to make matters worse, the cat pooped too!! Repeat gag cycle again!!! LOL! I have to say that it was pretty embarrassing to walk in the door and say, "Surprise!!! I got you a cat that just happens to be covered in throw up and poop!" Ughhh...
You could tell Ryan was honestly very excited about the cat. He calmly took the cat from the box and took it to the bathroom and gave it a bath. The cat was perfect for him! Instant bond right there. From that point on we got Oliver his little room ready in our guest room and he immediately got started relaxing. Blake pointed at him and yelled "CAT!" Good word! :) The introduction with Roxie even went better than expected. Roxie was more nervous than anything. As of now they are both relaxed in the living room as Ryan and I watch TV.



I can vividly imagine the scene of Taylor, Oliver and you...hahahaha!!!! So glad Ryan got a cat. He's a GREAT SIL. Love him:)
ReplyDelete