Image Map

Thursday, December 9, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

This summer there was an event where a soldier's funeral was protested by a specific religious group. In fact, there were several instances in which this happened. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now.
Another religious group is now threatening to protest at Elizabeth Edwards funeral. The interesting part is that their reason for protesting has nothing to do with Elizabeth Edwards - just like the reasons for protesting at the soldiers funerals had nothing to do with that individual soldier.
I understand the idea of freedom of speech, but at what point is it taken to an extreme. Personally, I feel that protesting came be used in a beneficial way. HOWEVER, protesting at some one's funeral is totally inappropriate. I feel as though it is a classless act that contains zero respect. A funeral is a place for remembrance and the celebration of a life lost - NOT FOR A POLITICAL STANCE! It is extremely disrespectful, not only to the lost life, but to the family and friends in attendance. I will never understand the act of protesting at a funeral, and heaven help me if I attend one where this takes place!

No comments:

Post a Comment